The majority of dogs can swim and they love it. But dogs entering the water for the first time should be tested. Here are some important tips for teaching your dog how to swim:
- Never throw your dog into the water.
- Start in shallow water, and call your dog’s name. You can also try to coax him in with a treat or toy – but always keep your dog within reach.
- Another way to introduce your dog to the water is with a dog that already swims and is friendly with your dog. Let your dog follow his friend.
- If your dog begins to doggy-paddle with his front legs only, lift his hind legs and help him float. He should quickly catch on and will then keep his back end up.
- Swimming is a great form of exercise, but don’t let your dog overdo it. He will be using new muscles and may tire quickly.
- Be careful of strong tides that are hazardous for even the best swimmers. Never leave your dog unattended! You should always be in a position to help him get out of the water.