Does your pooch need to lose a few kilos? Following these 8 KEY TIPS by Dr. Megan Kelly to encourage your dog to lose weight the healthy way.
- Exercise little and often: two short walks a day is better than one long one. It helps speed up the metabolism and is kinder on your pet’s joints.
- Encourage non weight bearing exercises e.g. swimming. Overweight pets put a lot of stress on their limbs and joints.
- Activities such as swimming decrease the stress and wear and tear on the joints.
- Feed healthy treats: pieces of carrots, cucumber, apple, wheat free treats.
- Consider a diet specifically tailored for weight loss. Speak to your local veterinary practice for advice.
- Weight loss should be a slow process. Rapid weight loss puts strain on the body especially the liver.
- Remember that a 10kg dog that loses 1 kg has lost 1 percent of its body weight. That is the same as a 70kg man losing 7 kgs.
- For lazy pets – try putting the feed bowl at the top of the step so they have to walk up the steps to get their food.
- Encourage activity and play. The more weight they lose they more energy they will have.